This weeks blog post will prove quite different indeed. I have been awarded the “Liebster Award,” which puts me in the three (3) award category. For the bloggers I’ve chosen, “Your mission, should you decide to accept it,” requires you to write something about the award. Oh, and don’t expect your blog to self-destruct after you have made a decision. Again, just as others have done, I went off to the WWW, and searched the name. My results came up – empty. I didn’t really expect to find anything on Wikipedia, but I went there anyway; nothing. I must say, I’ve been in this blogging game for two and one half years, but I have never heard of this. When I first read the word, my brain went immediately to “Liebchen,” which is also of German origin, and when translated means, sweetheart/dear. Actually the two words are the same form. But, from all my days in the Garment Center, Liebchen came to me as easily as Mommy to a three-year old.
I did read on another blog that the Liebster must only be given to bloggers with less than 3,000 followers to their blog. However, KJ Waters of Blondie in the Water advised the requirements were less than 500 followers. Regardless, I’d like to give a giant shout-out to KJ for locating, and bestowing Thursday’s Child with this honor. I instantaneously responded to her, and mentioned how much work this prize seemed to entail. But, I couldn’t interrupt the spirit of which it is all intended, and who couldn’t use more followers. Also, I’d like to ask if my readers played along and answered one, or two questions at the other end of this post.
Here are the easy requirements: I get to answer 11 questions from KJ, and then, provide 11 random facts about myself. Thereafter, I ask my award picks 11 new questions.
To the writers I’ll designate, and if you accept the challenge, here are the rules:
1. Write a blog post about the Liebster Award;
2. Thank the person that nominated you;
3. Post a link to their blog on your blog;
4. Display the award on your blog and include it in your post and/or display it using a widget.
5. Answer the 11 questions about yourself provided by the person who nominated you.
6. Give 11 random facts about yourself.
7. Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have less than 1000 followers.
8. Create a new list of questions for the nominated bloggers to answer.
9. List the rules in your post.
10. Inform the bloggers you’ve nominated them for the Liebster Award. Remember to give them a link to your post so that they can learn about it (they may have never heard of it!).
You can nominate someone who has been given the Liebster Award already, as long as they have less than 500 followers/subscribers.
MY QUESTIONS FROM KJ
1. Give us a snapshot of your favorite beach or pool memory.
2. What is your favorite genre to read for pleasure?
Ans. I love whodunnits, like Agatha Christie or Sidney Sheldon.
3. I would love to know about one of your most embarrassing moments. I’ll share mine if you’re brave enough to share yours.
Ans. I did a blog on this incident, The Funny Side of Falling. Going down the stairs leading in to Pennsylvania Station at Madison Square Garden in Manhattan, my heel caught on the edge of a steel lipped step. Considering my position on the stairs, I had nothing to catch hold of, except the poor guys collar a few steps down and in front of me. When falling, you instinctually reach for the nearest thing. So, needless to say I did, and dragged him backward. So embarrassing having to stand there, apologizing, and trying to help him straighten his jacket and collar.
4. Who is your favorite celebrity and why?
Ans. I don’t know if you’d consider Mike Rowe a celebrity, but he has the silkiest voice ever, and if I’m watching any other show that I feel he should be narrating and isn’t – I have to turn away.
5. What is your favorite place on the planet? Why?
Ans. This would have been anyplace in the Bahamas, until I flew across the country to San Diego. Outside of Europe I had never-ever seen mountains across the street from the beach. Not to mention the fact, I didn’t suffer from my allergies at all while there. With its perfect weather, it has to be one of God’s favorite places as well. And, if I could make hubby serious about it, I’d move there in one single breath.
View of some of San Diego from Pt. Loma
6. Tell us about your next book idea. If you don’t have one or aren’t ready to share it, make something up and give us a wink so we know it’s a fake.
Ans. I don’t have a good name for it yet. At the moment it’s called “Memories.” I know this will probably change anyway. But, it will be a book of short stories, and narratives, with most of the accounts taken from true events. I have at least ten stories planned, with six already written.
7. What is your favorite social media site and why?
Ans. This one is tough. Twitter has always been #1 with me, but now, Pinterest is quickly moving in to first place. When I first signed onto Twitter, someone in my writing group from New Jersey responded to a tweet, saying she thought a person had to be more sociable when they liked Twitter. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the messages have to be kept brief, satisfying the privacy in me. I’m not sure. But Pinterest? I have at times sent a tweet, “Hold my feet, I’m going in.” I cannot believe how addicting it became for me. I go in, and I literally have to talk to myself – okay, you came here for one picture; get it and get out. But it never works. I would say, I’m as addicted as the second worse case of Candy Crush.
8. Name one thing on your bucket list, and tell us about it.
Ans. I have done a lot of traveling in my life, but I haven’t seen even one-half of this country. I don’t know how I got this in my head, but for a long time I’ve wanted to see it from the road. I want to begin here in Virginia, take at least three months, and head south toward Tennessee via Hwy. 81. Not that I’m a truck stop kind of girl, far from it, but Adam Richman hit one off of that highway supposedly renown for its food. I’ll start out there, making my next stop Gatlinburg to check out the Great Smoky Mountains, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona – all the way to the west coast, taking in every sight along the way, and back again. Yeah – that’ll do me.
9. In your opinion, what is your most redeeming quality? Something that makes up for the hot mess we all hide from everyone.
Ans. I’m not really sure if this answers the question, but only a few years ago I realized this little thing about myself. Lots of people, when they are hurt by someone, hold onto it for life, never letting it go. I, personally know people, even family members that you ask why they don’t like a certain person, and they can tell you, down to the hour what that individual did to them; how it made them feel, and how they would never forgive them for whatever. These instances, I usually forget. And, I’ve also learned that when you do that, you have forgiven, as well.
10. What is the last book you read for pleasure. Thumbs up or down?
Ans. I re-read John Steinbeck’s The Pearl. Funny, I don’t remember this book from school, but I know it had to have made the life lesson list. It is a definite thumbs up.
11. What is the farthest you’ve been away from home? Was it for work, vacation or other?
Ans. I’d have to say, Hawaii. Went to Oahu and Maui for vacation.
Wai’anapanapa State Park-Maui
11 RANDOM FACTS ABOUT ME
1. I moved to Virginia in August of 2004.
2. My great-grandmother had American Indian in her bloodline – from the Cherokee tribe.
3. My favorite ethnic food is Jamaican Peas and Rice, Mon.
4. My all time favorite color is Magenta.
5. I love World War II history.
6. I love nuts, but I will only eat them plain, in desserts, or candy. In main dishes, I will painstakingly pick each one out.
7. Mountain, or ocean vacation – west coast; then I can have both.
8. I have never, and will never go in to Manhattan without make-up.
9. As a child my favorite activity involved riding my bicycle.
10. I used to skip work to play tennis.
11. I walked out of the theater half-way through the movie Silence of the Lambs.
MY NOMINEES FOR THE LIEBSTER AWARD
1. Jenn Nixon
2. Penelope Marzec
3. Sherry Silver – Sherry Ink
4. Kristen Koster
5. Ronnie Allen – Gemini
6. Meda White
Please follow the instructions at the beginning of this post to participate in the Liebster Award, and tag me so I can share your blog post. As I’ve already asked, I too, would surely appreciate it if my readers took a go at some of the questions. You can leave your answers in the comment section of the blog. It would be so much fun, if you did.
11 QUESTIONS FOR MY NOMINEES
1. Outside of writing, what is your favorite hobby that takes you away from the stress of the day?
2. If you were given a free cruise to anywhere, on any ship, where would you go, and on what ship? Tell us why.
3. Who is your all time favorite musical group? What is it you like about them?
4. What is your all time best childhood memory?
5. Were you born in the town/city you now live? If not, how did you get there? If yes, did you ever think of moving someplace else?
6. What U.S. cities have you visited?
7. If you could go back in time for one day, what era would you choose? What would you do?
8. Do you have an opinion on Black Friday?
9. What is your favorite holiday, and why?
10. What is your favorite movie? What do you like about it?
11. What’s the biggest plan you have in the works for the new year?
YOU CAN FIND ME AT THESE PLACES ON-LINE
Facebook Fan page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Veronica-L-Singleton/153713254711607?ref=hl